Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Din of the Night

A while back I wrote about "din", which I equate to getting language "stuck in your head" like a pop song. Common sense suggests that one way to experience this would be to listen to repetitive input for many hours in one day. The most Thai listening I've been able to squeeze into a day since then is about two and a half hours, which isn't much.

So I may not have experienced exactly what Krashen would call "din", but I have noticed something interesting. When I'm falling asleep at night or waking up in the morning, I'll usually hear something from my Thai mp3s in my head. Maybe this is some kind of mental "practice", similar to din.

It's not always the case that what I hear when falling asleep comes from something the same day. Often it's from audio which I haven't listened to in a few days or more. It's interesting how the mind works.

1 comment:

Scott Imig said...

Heh, heh... nice. :)